New Homes and Renovation Services in the Black Hills of South Dakota
Building your dream home or remodeling an existing kitchen or bathroom can be both exciting and challenging at the same time. There are many things to consider. The exciting part is imagining what your space, weather large or small will look like!
You may be wondering, what is my favorite style? Do I like a sleek, modern, minimalist feel with granite counter tops and built in appliances? What about a rustic country look with beautiful wood cabinets and wood floors surrounding me? Oh, and don't forget those special finishing touches! A pot filler over the stove and an old fashioned porcelain sink will give it that cozy country feeling for sure! Maybe you're a person who appreciates vibrant colors with funky little touches. You can achieve a soothing energy in your space by combining bright colors and darker wood tones along with mid-tone counter tops. Lets be honest, the options are endless!
As you can no doubt see, these kinds of projects can not only take time, but they will require a lot of attention to detail. It would be silly to think that you could completely avoid and and all problems along the way, but there are ways to minimize some of them.
So now the fun begins! How do I choose the right local contractor for the job? You've heard the horror stories and you don't want to be next! Following these simple steps can mean the difference between living happily ever after and your worst nightmare!
1. Look at their Credentials. Find out if they are licensed by the state. Ask to see a copy of their certificate of insurance.
2. Ask for references
3. Put everything in writing. Knowing exactly what the contract should include will help you to avoid problems down the road. To begin with, the start and end date should be discussed. Then of course, what materials will be used, the warranty, who the subcontractors are, and last but not least, the budget. The contract also informs you of the payment schedule. This is usually divided into three categories: the down payment, progress payments and the final payment due upon completion of the project.
4. The bottom line is, maintain good communication throughout the project. This will ensure everything runs smoothly and successfully!
Some warning signs to be suspicious of:
1. Can not provide proof of license or insurance
2. Can not provide references for a job similar to the one he is bidding for you
3. Pressures you into feeling that you have to make a quick hiring decision
4. Prefers cash transactions
5. Wants to use left over materials from another job
6. Tries to convince you that a building permit is not necessary
7. Quotes a final price without see the job
Now that you know what to look for, lets walk you through our process step by step.
1. Initial Consultation: Your project begins with a meeting to discuss your overall plans, your family's needs, absolute must haves and of course, the budget.
At this point, it would be helpful for you to have a copy of your floor plans if necessary and any pictures that capture all of your ideas. Did I mention, consultations are free!
2. The Design Process: Detailed measurements of your space will be taken at this point. In order to better understand what you desire, we will pick your brain along the way and ask many questions. We may also share with you some of our expertise and offer suggestions along the way. You'll be happy to know that this step is also free!
3. Planning and Pricing: During our next visit, we will share with you the custom plans that we've developed for your project. These plans will also discuss the cost of materials to be used throughout the project. We will explain how the timeline will come to its completion. At this point, we will also discuss and finalize the details of our contract. You can be sure that with Averie Construction you will receive an itemized list of materials and services. You will never be surprised by hidden fees.
4. Getting Started: First the good news, now the real fun begins! As for the bad news, this step is not free. But, at this point, now the terms of the budget have been agreed upon and the design plans are well established. We will now be ready to accept a retainer from you. This will make it possible to purchase materials and cover the cost of labor in the beginning.
5. Half Way There: You can see it all coming together but we're not there yet. The General Contractor will always keep the line of communication open between you and the crew and any other professional subcontractors involved. As questions arise, we will answer them and quickly resolve and obstacles that confront us. Time is money and we appreciate that your time is valuable. We will do all that we can to minimize the disruption of your life. We will also let you know in advance who to expect at your home, the time they are scheduled to arrive and be out of your hair.
6. Time To Relax And Enjoy: The major part of the construction is finished. The General Contractor will now walk through the project with you and come up with a touch-up list to revisit any areas or items that need special attention. Our mission is complete once all touch-ups are done and everything is finished to your complete satisfaction. You can rest assure that you have added value to your home and hope you thoroughly enjoy your new space and are eager to share your experience with friends and family!
Let's get started on your project today! Call us now at 605-890-9795 and don't forget to mention this website for a special house warming gift!